Why should I be baptized?
- To follow the example set by Jesus.
- "At that time Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan." Mark 1:9
- Because Christ commanded it.
- "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you." Matthew 28:19-20a
- Because it is a public demonstration that I am a Believer.
- "We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands." 1 John 2:3
What is the meaning of baptism?
- It illustrates Christ's death, burial, and resurrection.
- "Christ died for our sins... He was buried... and He rose again." 1 Corinthians 15:3-4
- For you were buried with Christ when you were baptized. And with him you were raised to new life because you trusted the mighty power of God, who raised Christ from the dead." Colossians 2:12
- It illustrates my new life as a Christian.
- "This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!" 2 Corinthians 5:17
- For we died and were buried with Christ by baptism. And just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious power of the Father, now we also may live new lives." Romans 6:4
- Baptism doesn't make you a Christian. Only your faith in Christ does that. Baptism is like a wedding ring - it's an outward sign of the commitment you've made in your heart.
Who should be baptized?
Every person who has believed in Christ. A believer is someone who has realized that their sin separated them from God. They have given up all efforts to reach God through good works or religious activity. They have concluded that Jesus Christ's death on the cross for their sins is the only thing that can bridge the gap between them and God. A believer is someone who has trusted Christ alone for their salvation.
If you have come to that point in your spiritual journey, then you are ready to be baptized. (Acts 2:41, 8:12-13)
Please call the church office at 717-697-9136 or email us at MechanicsburgChurch@gmail.com if you have any questions.